Learn how you can help prevent poisoning if your pet eats something dangerous

5 Things Pets Should Never Eat – And What to Do If They DoWe all love to feed our pets people food, even though we know it’s bad for their health. However, there are some foods and substances that are worse than others and as a responsible pet owner you need to know about them. Here are the top 5 things that pets should never be allowed to eat, along with advice on what to do if your pet does snatch an unauthorized and dangerous snack.

Chocolate

Chocolate is bad for pets for all kinds of reasons. It contains caffeine and fat, both of which can be harmful, but the real problem is methylxanthines. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is for pets because of higher concentrations of methylxanthines. Eating chocolate may cause vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmias, tremors, and seizures.

Caffeine

Tea, coffee, energy drinks, and even some sodas are dangerous for pets because they contain caffeine, which can affect the heart, stomach, and nervous system. Pets may find coffee beans particularly intriguing and fun to chew on. A pet that has ingested too much caffeine will show symptoms like restlessness, muscle twitches, increased heart rate, and even seizures.

Alcohol

Alcohol affects pets more quickly than it affects humans. Once a pet ingests alcohol, this can trigger dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure, and body temperature in short order. Seizures or respiratory failure may even occur.

Candy with Xylitol

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener sometimes found in candies, baked goods and sugarless gum. It’s often recommended for diabetic humans, but it can have a very dangerous effect on dogs. Xylitol causes a rapid release of insulin whichcan lead to hypoglycemia and perhaps even liver failure.

Antifreeze

Antifreeze poisoning is a risk for both children and pets because this chemical smells pretty good and has a sweet taste. Just a few tablespoons of antifreeze has the potential to be deadly, especially if you don’t notice the symptomsof antifreeze poisoning early. So keep your pets out of the garage and watch out for symptoms like lack of coordination, grogginess, lethargy, and disorientation.

What if Your Pet Eats Something Dangerous?

No matter how vigilant we are as pet owners, dogs and cats can still get into trouble. If you know that your pet has eaten something dangerous, you should call your veterinarian for help and advice. In the case of chemical poisonings,you will not want to induce vomiting unless your vet recommends it. However, if your pet has consumed anything on theabove list, you should induce vomiting as soon as possible, and within a maximum of 2 hours of the incident. Simply prepare a dose of 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide (the 3% stuff from the first aid aisle) per 10 pounds of your pet’s body weight. Make your pet drink it down (maybe with a teeny bit of ice cream) and your pet should vomit up the hydrogen peroxide and whatever bad thing they ate in about 15 minutes.

Comments are closed.

Website by